Member Blogs: Tuckota Kirklan Fadgmo

Got something to say to Fish & Game Commissioners

Upland Idaho's Wingshooters Glossary

All original pictures and video posted to UplandIdaho.com are copyright of Upland Idaho LLC or the individual posting

Our home page
Hunting stories, maps, pictures, and more
Our Biology and Conservation Information
Hunting and Fishing trips and tips
Links to our affliates and friends
Shop for unique outdoor items
Become a member, sign-up, read our posts
Pages submitted by our Members

Upland Idaho Forum - Chukar hunting,
Upland Idaho Forum
Upland Idaho Forum
Home | My Files | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Upland Bird Hunting
 Chukar hunting,
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  21:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
Ok, I have a question. I have hunted chukar in California and only in California. This year I want to take a few trips to a place where I'll see more birds. I figure there has to be a place where I'm going to see more than a covey or two a day. So Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, where would you guys go if you could go anywhere to hunt chukars and had 4 or 5 days at a time. I want to explore some new places, but don't want to spend my vacation getting skunked 12 hours from home when I can do that 4 hours from my house. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

" Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day"
-Harry Truman

dsolsen
Supporting Member

275 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  21:47:02  Show Profile
I would say both south west Idaho and eastern oregon would be solid places. If you decide to come to eiher im sure that people on here could provide you with some specific areas. I can help you out a little bit in sw Idaho but dont know anywhere in oregon. Call me if you would like 208-284-1736

WALLYhttp://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2815
KATIE http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2817
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  06:48:58  Show Profile
You can shoot plenty of birds 1 hour from Reno, which is alot closer than Idaho. Check out the nevada chukar counts on the Nv fish and game web site in August. There are alot of good places north of Reno.

28ga. Go small or go home
Go to Top of Page

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  15:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
dolsen - Ill give ya call one of these evenings and pick your brain if ya dont mind.

mrichard-yeah Reno is a lot closer. Be a good place to look into too. Good qauil hunting in Nevada too.

-Harry Truman
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  15:33:25  Show Profile
I actually hunted there for about 5 years before I built in Idaho. I think I have shot more birds in Nv. than Id. and it would shave 6 hours off your drive.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

sean english
Hungarian Partridge>300 Posts

363 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  20:16:58  Show Profile  Send sean english a Yahoo! Message
Shrtcrzy
Where are you located? Southern or northern Cali? Maybe if you want, we can drive up to Reno area together.
I am heading out next week to check on the birds at my place about 2 hours north of City of Angels.

Summer had reduced the river's flow to a sluggish current. It was well within the banks carved by spring melts, the shallow water running crystal clear. But it was water- life-giving, life-sustaining water. This Calder Range by Janet Dailye
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  20:49:51  Show Profile
I think he is about 8 hours north of us.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  22:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
Yeah I live in Lake Shastina in the shadow of Mt Shasta. Yeah, I am trying to decide on Nevada or Oregon. I would love to drive up and hunt Juntura area, I also would like to hunt Gerlach and around Reno.I just don't know anyting about either place other than some stuff I glean off the internet. I need to make some friends in other states and go. Lol hard for a Californian to do anymore as everyone hates us.

-Harry Truman
Go to Top of Page

sean english

363 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  20:20:47  Show Profile  Send sean english a Yahoo! Message
Juntura?Juntura? Sounds like the african bushman I used to hunt lions with. Barehand.
What do you know about Bridgeport area? Susanville I heard has good chukar population too.

Summer had reduced the river's flow to a sluggish current. It was well within the banks carved by spring melts, the shallow water running crystal clear. But it was water- life-giving, life-sustaining water. This Calder Range by Janet Dailye
Go to Top of Page

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  22:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
Susanville SUCKS!!!

-Harry Truman
Go to Top of Page

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  13:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
Susanville sucks, rough rough obsidian lava for the few birds that are there.

-Harry Truman
Go to Top of Page

ChukarCory
Sage-grouse>150 posts

268 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  13:56:04  Show Profile
Sean: My father hunts chukar in and around the Red Mountain area NE of Los Angeles with very little luck...

Shrthrcrzy: If you make it this far north (Boise), let me know. I've been looking for new hunting partners and would be happy to share a gem or two with a visitor.
Go to Top of Page

Shrthrcrzy
Supporting Member

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  20:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Shrthrcrzy's Homepage
I have not hunted Bridgeport, Susanville, on the other hand I have hunted a lot.

-Harry Truman
Go to Top of Page

sean english

363 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  15:13:18  Show Profile  Send sean english a Yahoo! Message
Cory
Red Mountain is famous for having all the Rookies on the opener. People get shot, cars get peppered, just awful. But if you dad ventures off a little, going north all those hills have good chukar population. Up and around Ridgecrest. This is the time of year that he should be doing his scouting. This year is supposed to be real good. I am heading out in a week and hope to bring in lots of pics. Where does dad live? How old is he? Does he have dogs? I am willing to share some of my spots, maybe.
Shrthcrzy
You didn't give a more detail view of Susanville. I heard its very pretty. Want to take a drive up there this summer. My wife got a job offer there but since I couldnt find work, we cancelled it.

Go to Top of Page

578SLE
Hatchling<10 posts

5 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  18:09:46  Show Profile
Sean,

Let my introduce myself. I am Shrthrcrzy's partner in crime. We have hunted the Susanville area together, and while it is excellent chukar country that definitely holds birds, the steep canyons are covered with large volcanic obsidian outcrops (fields of solid, broken, obsidian) that have to be crossed by both man and the dog. These outcrops, and the areas around them trash a dog's feet pretty quickly and require a sure footed hunter to be on his toes at all times. Shrthrcrzy and I both have conditioned dogs. He runs his dog's in similar country (but without the obsidian) and I road my dog on gravel roads in the Sacramento valley during the summer. I think we both could live with the steep country around Susanville and even the rough terrain if it held more birds, but the real issue is that after all the harsh climbing, you might only get 1-2 opportunities to shoot at birds ALL DAY. That's why were looking for areas where we would have more bird contact and not kill our dogs and ourselves in the process --lol.

Go to Top of Page

sean english

363 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  18:24:21  Show Profile  Send sean english a Yahoo! Message
Hey thanks for the info. I was looking for work in that neck of the wood and also in Sacramento area and heard that the closest place one can hunt chukars, it would be Susanville and Bridgeport area. I have not seen either of those areas.
I am coming to the conclusion that staying put here in Southern Cal (as much as I hate everything about it) might be the best option for hunting chukars. 130 miles from my house, and i an in chukar country which is not exactly the best but i did manage to SEE lots of birds this year which wasnt the best.
I drive down to Imperial Valley and get my dove and duck.
Well so far, I havnt gotten a job elsewhere and with the economy the way it is, i might end up just staying put." I'll greet whatever god send my way with open arms."
I just wish I lived somewhere that I could have a house and a pup.
Maybe I go to church this Sunday.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Upland Idaho Forum © 2010 Upland Idaho LLC Go To Top Of Page